Pioneer’s CDJ-2000nexus Review
The reputable manufacturer of professional equipment for DJ community, , its latest flagship CDJ player. This product is the first player that allows users to produce their music on an iPad, iPod or iPhone, and then transfer it to the unit wirelessly and playback.
The CDJ-2000nexus is equipped with a number of new technologies and features such as compatibility with Pioneer’s new rekordbox App for iOS devices (like iPad, iPod or iPhone), Wi-Fi connectivity, as well as several new fuctions like Slip, Wave Zoom and Beat Sync. In case you want to use a computer (which is pretty unlikely, given all the new options the device offers with its Rekordbox software and app), CDJ-2000NEXUS features MIDI and/or HID control to access DJ Software. The unit’s selection screen interface has also been upraded, allowing for better wavefrom display and music searches, improved sound quality of master tempo and increased needle search pad visibility.
What this new Rekordbox software means is that DJs can now connect wirelessly to the unit via Wi-Fi and send the tracks with loops, cue points and other functions they’ve prepared on their iPhones, smartphones and tablets, to the unit for playeback. With the Pioneer’s rekordbox app users can create cue/loop points, playlists, waveform analysis, beat location settings and more and transfer this content temporarily to the CDJ-2000nexus through Wi-Fi.
The unit allows for the entire track to get loaded so that the user needn’t worry about wireless signal being lost in the middle of playback. All visual feedbacks or other communications you need you will get right on the unit’s screen or on your tablet’s or smartphone’s display that run the Rekordbox App. The variety of music sources for playback needs is complemented also by a CD slot, a SD memory card slot and a USB thumb/Hard drive slot.
When installed on a computer, this new rekordbox music management software allows to catalog and organize the user’s entire music libraries. There are several newly added features of the rekordbox being used with the CDJ-2000nexus. They include:
- functions of music file analysis like Key, Wave Form Zoom (wave form expansion), Beat Grid, Wave, ID3 Tag, BPM and several more
- track settings like Hot Cue Auto Load, Active Loop, Cue and Loop
- the opportunity to save the user’s playback log information
- options for Playlist editing and creation
The rekordbox music management software can be used in the same wireless way with a Mac, too.
The new LCD 6.1″ display the CDJ-2000nexus is equipped with features even better resolution, allowing for very detailed waveforms to be zoomed for various levels of magnification to adjust and follow along BPM and beatgrids on the fly. Its full-color, large WQVGA 6.1-inch (480 x 234) LCD panel is convenient for viewing album art and song titles along with detailed track information. The wave data of songs that are also displayed on the screen have 5 different levels of wave data magnification provided by Wave Zoom function, and are color-coded according to
The Pro DJ Link of the unit allows users to share music from a single source. Through the Link Port on CDJ-2000nexus, up to 4 players can connect to the unit and share one music source. The unit offers the following functions that can be accessed with other players being connected through the Link Port:
- Phase Meter and Beat Count, with Phase meter showing the bar/beat of the music (can be displayed at the same time by several players, too), and Beat Count, which shows the number of beats up to a set point of memory cue.
- Traffic Light that by the variety of its color indicators facilitates finding key-compatible music, showing the keys of track being played by any of the players connected to the unit via the Link Port.
- Beat Sync (one of the greatest upgrades CDJ-2000nexus can boast of), allows to match perfectly the music currently being played on one device with that played on other ones. All it takes is just pushing the new Sync button featured on each deck.
To enhance the reliability and performance of its product, Pioneer added to it several other performance functions like:
- The Slip mode that continues a song’s playback silently during a loop, scratch, reverse, or change of other parameters, when activated. But once the button is released, the audible play of the track will continue at the exact point and time when the loop, scratch or reverse has ended. This great function brings smoother transitions.
- Quantizing feature (activated by Quantize button) allows for reliable and ideal on-beat transitions, with cue points and loops being set automatically, accurately and perfectly on-beat with other currently playing tracks. It also synchs and corrects beats during real-time cueing or manual looping, reducing off-beat mistakes.
- Wolfson Processor from the audio industry’s reputable Wolfson® DAC is also featured on CDJ-2000nexus to deliver a very accurate and transparent audio signal with an increased headroom and greatly improved signal-to-noise ratio.
- My Settings function allows to save the player’s settings to an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, SD memory card, USB storage device, or some other device. It provides also another great convenience by allowing to make these setting on the rekordbox software or App ahead of time so that users could switch to their settings upon connecting to the CDJ-2000nexus.
The unit features also: Active Loop to trigger loops automatically upon staring playback from a specified point; Rating on the Go to allow users rate track during play for easy sorting or reference; Load Previous Track for playback of music previously being loaded to the player; and DJ software MIDI/HID control which with its up to 35 controls on each player’s surface can be used to activate other devices like DJ software and effectors by way of MIDI and/or HID.
Categories: Equipment[wpdreams_rpp id=0]